Johnson, Brian H - Horizontal.jpg

BRIAN D JOHNSON, EI
DESIGNER

bdjohnson@aedesign-inc.com
303.945.3584
Download VCF

Involvement
Illuminating Engineering Society

International Association of Lighting Designers


DSC_0186.JPG

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE AND WHY?
That answer is always changing, but I’d go with Raiders of the Lost Ark 80 percent of the time. The film just never gets old, and for a movie that came out over a decade before I was born, it still holds up! The other 20 percent of the time it falls somewhere along the lines of Little Miss Sunshine, Arrival, or True Grit.

WHAT WOULD YOUR DREAM VACATION BE?
It’s hard to narrow it down to just one! Someday I’d like to make it down to New Zealand. I’ve never been south of the equator and I feel like New Zealand would be an incredible opportunity for any outdoorsman.

DSC_0232.JPG

WHAT’S SOMETHING PEOPLE WOULDN’T GUESS ABOUT YOU?
I watch the Academy Awards every year. It’s bigger than the Super Bowl in my family. Everyone dresses up like a character from one of the nominated movies and we have a big celebration. Oh, and I can name all of the Best Picture winners since 1990! Everyone needs a party trick.

WHAT’S THE BEST PLACE YOU HAVE EVER VISITED?
There’s an island off the western coast of Ireland called Skellig Michael. It was first inhabited by some early Christian monks way back in the seventh century and the stone huts they built are still standing today. It’s incredibly remote and mysterious, and I’ve never been anywhere that felt so out of this world. It was also used in the most recent Star Wars films, so there’s a bonus.

DSC_0194.JPG

WHERE IS YOUR FAVORITE PLACE TO EAT?
There’s a little bistro in Prague called Kavárna Oh La La where I got one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had. It’s the kind of place that you can easily walk by without more than a glance, but if you’re lucky enough to sit down and try something new, it can instantly become the highlight of your day. As Ron Swanson once said, “There has never been a sadness that can’t be cured by breakfast food.” So true.

WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE OUTDOOR ACTIVITY?
I really enjoy being out on the water. Put me on a boat on a nice day and I’m a happy man. Sailing, snorkeling, and kayaking have always been some of my favorites, and ones that I don’t get a chance to do nearly as much as I would like. Hiking and camping are always great too. One of my favorite camping trips was in Joshua Tree National Park one summer. Brutally hot during the day, but incredible at night with all the stars in the clear sky and the howling coyotes in the distance.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME?
I like playing drum set, grilling burgers, taking pictures, listening to the Hamilton soundtrack, assembling IKEA furniture, playing the only seven chords I know on the guitar, eating Palisade peaches, watching Wes Anderson movies, climbing, and planning travel adventures.

DSC_0819.JPG